Frozen Pipes Plumber Boulder & Longmont CO
Home and property owners beware of the temperatures dropping below freezing. There are things you can do to help prevent frozen pipes in Boulder, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior Broomfield, and Denver metro areas. SO BE AS PROACTIVE AS POSSIBLE, and save yourself from major property damage!
If you are experiencing frozen pipes, call Planet Plumbing & Drain (303) 440-4330 or schedule online as soon as possible because the longer the pipes are frozen the bigger chance you have of your frozen pipes splitting and flooding your home. In many cases, we can thaw out the frozen pipes without them splitting and needing plumbing repairs, and avoid any flooding of your home or business.
How to Thaw & Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Turn up the heat, keep your heat 10-15 degrees higher than normal.
- Open all sink cabinet doors. This allows heat reach and heat the plumbing wall.
- Open faucets. Open a hot and cold faucet so it has a slow steady stream. The best fixture is the tub so the water is less likely to back up, whatever fixture you decide to use make sure its draining properly so the drain doesn’t back up. If your pipes do freeze make sure the first thing you do is open all the faucets, hot and cold, especially your tub shower valves. That way if the pipes thaw out the expansion of water won’t burst your pipes due to your faucets being open.
- Shut main water valve. If the temps are going to be close to zero or below and you have to leave the house to go to work or just be away for part of the day you should shut the main water valve off. That way if you do freeze and split the property wont get flooded. When you come back home if you turn the water back on and you do have splits you can shut the water back off quickly. Make sure you are aware of where your main water shut off is so if you need to shut your water off quickly you can.
- Apply heat to the frozen pipe. You can use a hair dryer, heat lamp, or hot water bottle. Just make sure your faucets are OPEN so that the expansion of water doesn’t burst the pipes! Do not use an open flame or heat tape as this could damage the pipe or start a fire.
- Insulate exposed pipes, especially those in crawl spaces and attics.
- Seal any air leaks around pipes.
- Disconnect and drain garden hoses before the first frost.
- Another tip is to get a furnace tune-up before winter. A faulty furnace can also contribute to frozen pipes.
- Be proactive and take these steps!
Frozen Pipes Boulder & Longmont CO
Frozen pipes can be a major headache during winter, especially if they burst and cause water damage. That’s why it’s important to know when to call Planet Plumbing & Drain (303) 440-4330, and what to expect from our plumbing expert when dealing with frozen pipes.
Signs that your pipes are frozen
- No water flow from faucets or fixtures.
- Gurgling sounds in the pipes.
- Cracks or bulging in the pipes.
- Visible frost on the pipes.
What to expect from a Planet Plumbing expert
- The plumber will first assess the situation and determine the location of the frozen pipe.
- They will then thaw the pipe using a safe and effective method.
- Once the pipe is thawed, the plumber will inspect it for damage and repair any leaks.
- They will also check for any other pipes that may be at risk of freezing and make recommendations for prevention.
Science Behind Frozen Pipes
Xploration DIY SCI Host Steve Spangler explains how water freezes and thaws, and the implications for water pipes during frigid temperatures.
Pipe Repairs & Water Damage Restoration
If a pipe in your home has already burst, we can repair the pipes and any other plumbing repairs that are required. If you have experienced water damage in your home or business, it is important to contact a reputable water damage restoration company as soon as possible. The sooner you start the restoration process, the less likely it is that you will suffer further damage.
Water damage restoration companies specialize in repairing and restoring properties that have been damaged by water. This can include everything from a leaky faucet to a major flood.
Specific services that they typically offer include water extraction, structural drying, mold remediation, cleaning and sanitizing, repair and reconstruction, emergency board-up, content restoration, insurance claims assistance.
Call Planet Plumbing & Drain (303) 440-4330 and we will be glad to refer you to a high quality, experienced, and licensed water damage restoration company serving your area.
About Planet Plumbing & Drain
Planet Plumbing & Drain is a Colorado based company and has been serving Boulder, Broomfield, Weld, Denver, Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas, and Jefferson counties since 1997! We are open 7 days a week!
If you are looking for a frozen pipes plumber in Boulder, Longmont, Broomfield, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Niwot, Gunbarrel, CO and surrounding areas, we’re here to help!
Every one of our plumbing technicians is experienced and trained in complete plumbing, drain, sewer, and water heater services. No overtime fees and free estimates. There is no charge for on-site estimates when needed.