Planet Plumbing & Drain provides gas pipe inspection, repair, and installation in Boulder and Denver metro areas.
More than half of American residences use natural gas as a clean and efficient fuel source for heating and cooking. Normally these gas lines in your home are safe, but you should be aware of problems that can arise for the safety of your home and family.
Gas Line Leaks
Natural gas line leaks are are rate but when they occur, they can be very dangerous. A “rotten egg” odor is added to gas to warn people when there is a leak. If there is a gas line leak, the gas can buildup in an enclosed area making people sick and can cause a violent explosion.
You can prevent gas leaks in your Boulder home by having your gas lines inspected consistently and having the gas lines installed properly by licensed plumbing professionals.
Beware of gas leaks outside of your home also. The majority of gas lines entering a home are buried under the ground. Prior to doing any work that requires digging in your yard or other areas surrounding your home, be sure to call you local utility company so that the gas lines can be located and marked before any digging commences.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
If a faulty furnace or other gas-fueled appliance does not burn natural gas properly, or is not vented properly, carbon monoxide can begin to build in the home. Carbon monoxide is dangerous when breathed because it robs the victim’s brain and organs of the oxygen necessary to function properly. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to those of the flu without a fever. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should get out of the house and call 911, the fire department, or emergency medical services immediately.
Safety tips to lower the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in key areas of your home
- Have natural gas appliances inspected by a qualified plumbing professional annually.
- Inspect the vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas water heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces to ensure proper ventilation of exhaust.
- Never use an oven to heat the house. This can cause carbon monoxide to be released into the home.
- Do not sleep in a gas or kerosene space heater heated room without proper venting.
If a “rotten egg” odor occurs in your home:
- Get a safe distance from your home before using a cell phone.
- Shut off gas valves.
- Do not look for the leak.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances.
- Do not smoke or use any open flames.
- Call 911 after getting a safe distance from your home, and call the utility company.
- If a natural gas line is damaged during digging outside, contact the utility immediately. Do not make any attempt to repair the gas line.
About Planet Plumbing & Drain
Planet Plumbing & Drain is a Colorado based company and has been serving Boulder, Broomfield, Weld, Denver, Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas, and Jefferson counties since 1997! We are open 7 days a week!
Every one of our plumbing technicians is experienced and trained in gas line repair and installation. No overtime fees and free estimates over the phone usually. There is no charge for on-site estimates when needed.